If you have ever had or heard of sugar cream pie you are either;
2. From Indiana
3. Spent time in Indiana
Okay so you are probably not Amish, since you are on the computer!
Sugar Cream Pie is the official Indiana state pie!! You know like a state flower or state bird. We in Indiana also have a state pie!! If your state doesn’t have a pie you are missing out!!
This recipe comes from an Amish cookbook and it is the best sugar cream pie!! I also happen to love this recipe because you mix the pie in the shell… yes, no extra dirty dishes!!
Start by mixing up your crust. I use a never fail pie crust recipe that is perfect for this pie!
- 4 Tbl. flour
- 2 Tbl. cold butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-9 inch pie shell
- Pour the flour in the crust.
- Add the sugar and salt.
- Measure and pour the cream into the pie crust.
- Mix with your fingers.
- Measure out the milk and add the vanilla, stir.
- Add to the pie crust.
- Do not stir or mix.
- Dot cold butter on top of pie.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.
- Center will be bubbly and wiggly.
- Cover the crust to ensure it doesn't burn.