I don’t know what the weather is like your way but my garden is still in overdrive. I love finding new recipes that use up some of the yummy produce this time of year.
Soon we will be longing for the fresh fruits and veggies that are so abundant during harvest.
My 1 year old loves zucchini and squash and hasn’t met a type of pasta he doesn’t like so I knew he would love this recipe. His dad, my hubby, on the other hand is a little more picky. But, to my surprise he ate it all!
I loved that this recipe could be tossed together in a flash and didn’t involve too many dishes.
This recipe came from Gooseberry Patch’s cookbook 101 Stovetop Suppers.
- 2 T. Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground Italian pork sausage
- 3 to 4 zucchini, quartered and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 26-oz. jar spaghetti sauce
- 14-1/2 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 t. dried basil
- 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8-oz. pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 c. elbow macaroni, cooked
- Add oil to a skillet over medium heat.
- Saute garlic and onion until tender about 5 minutes.
- Add beef and sausage; cook until browned.
- Drain; add zucchini, sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste and water.
- Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until zucchini is tender.
- Add seasonings; top with cheese.
- Serve over macaroni.
- Serves 6 to 8.