It is down right cold here now and there is nothing better to warm you than a big bowl of hearty soup!
I found this recipe in the Hometown Harvest Gooseberry Patch cookbook. I just love this cookbook!
I also love finding slow cooker recipes that take 10-12 hours to cook! It is great getting off work, picking up the little one at the sitter and coming home to a dinner that has cooked itself! I have made a couple recipes in the crock pot that were for 6-8 hours only to get home after 9 hours to a meal that was a little over done!
The next time I make this I am going to assemble everything the night before and put in the fridge overnight. In the morning I will pull it out, add water and turn on the slow cooker, believe it or not there has been more than one occasion I forgot to turn the silly thing on. Not good!
This soup is hearty enough to serve alone or would be great with a salad and some crusty bread! In fact this French Bread would be wonderful with it.
I chopped the meat up so everything was about the same size, you can do that or leave them as they are.
This soup would also freeze well, when you warm it back up you may have to add more water and bouillon for taste.
- 2 C. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 c. frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 c. frozen corn
- 2 lbs. stew beef cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 T. oil
- 16-oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 2/3 c. pearled barley, uncooked
- 1 T. beef bouillon granules
- 1 T. dried parsley
- 3/4 t. dried basil
- 2 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 5 c. water
- Add carrots, celery, green pepper, green beans and corn to a large slow cooker; set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef and onion in oil; drain and add to slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes with liquid, barley, bouillon and seasonings; pour over beef.
- Add water, filling the slow cooker 2/3 full; do not stir.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 10-12 hours.
Affiliate links are used in this post.