Are you looking for a great crock-pot freezer cooking recipe? Or better yet a recipe to use up those peppers sitting in your fridge? Look no further! This Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffed Peppers recipe is a keeper!
This recipe is super easy and great because you can freeze the peppers and then pull them out and throw them in the crock pot when you need a quick meal! I LOVE being able to grab a bag out of the freezer throw it in the crock-pot and come home to dinner ready to eat!
Summer is right around the corner and I can’t wait to make these again with fresh peppers from the garden! If I am lucky we will have some peppers, that is if the critters eating my garden find a new hangout!
The multicolored peppers look great but you can use whatever bell peppers you have or are your families favorite! If you like heat use a spicier pepper.
The recipe calls for sausage but you could use hamburger if you want. I love recipes like this, easy to adapt for everyone’s likes and dislikes!
This is a great recipe to use a slow cooker liner in, less mess equals a quicker, easier clean up! I love the slow cook lines, they don’t work in every recipe but even my husband notices when I forget to use one!
- 1 lb. ground pork sausage, browned and drained
- 1-1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1-1/2 cup salsa, divided
- 1-1/2 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 red,yellow and/or green peppers
- Mix together sausage, rice, one cup salsa, one cup cheese and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Remove tops from peppers; remove seeds and discard tops.
- Stuff peppers evenly with sausage mixture.
- Individually wrap peppers in plastic wrap; place stuffed peppers in a freezer-safe container. Refrigerate overnight, or freeze until ready to use.
- To cook:
- Thaw peppers overnight in refrigerator if frozen.
- Spoon remaining 1/2 cup salsa into a lightly greased slow cooker.
- Unwrap peppers and stand up in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 4 to 5 hours, until peppers are tender.
- Sprinkle peppers with remaining cheese.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Affiliate links were used in this post.